It Was Always About the Game



 


  We carry soccer in our genes. It is so exhilarating. I cheered, screamed, raised my arms, and waved my flag. We needed to win, and we did. The first match reminded us what not to do. It was "our lesson." It was a heartfelt struggle after that. Our players used the best game tactics. They had us all rooting for them! The win was so victorious; it was simply pure joy. 


I saw the last match at a friend's house in Congreso, a crowded neighborhood near the Obelisk. I had to wait three hours to return home after we won. It was impossible to catch a bus, call a taxi, or walk safely due to the large crowds of people. I never saw so many people outside celebrating. They were mixed with reckless, drunken people. It was almost impossible to walk outside, so I had to wait and wait some more.


I thought at one point that I would have to sleep at my friend's house, but at around 10 pm, I was finally able to order a cab. I had to walk two blocks to get to the car because the driver could not reach my friend's building. He had to change his route because people were blocking the streets. This is who we are. Many of us do what is right to win, while the rest ruin the right. Argentina has so much more to give. We definitely needed this fun distraction, but now it's time to get back to reality.  


The players returned home with victorious smiles. They had to be picked up by helicopters because the government could not guarantee their safety. Their victory tour on the team bus was not safe anymore. I am sure you've seen the pictures. They speak more than a thousand words. The game unites Argentines. Our players did their best to leave politics aside and rejected the president's invitation. It was never about politics. It was always about the game.


Comments

Popular Posts